Friday, January 13, 2012

Boards of 2011, Mick Mackie Edition








Ulladulla's own gets a special post because he delivers some absolutely epic surfcraft and keeps flowing photos that make me want to drain the bank account in order to have an unrivaled quiver. I like them well enough that I not only ride them 2 out of 3 sessions, but I try to help him sell a few. Making your beach experience better is our aim. From the top down:

21st Century Flextail- possibly the boards I covet most, simple as that.

Stinger swallowtail- OK, there's a lot of reasons why stingers were not a lasting surfboard design, but this thing looks like it'd be a screamer on a clean point wave,

Pintail- I have no info, just this picture so in my head this is a 6'6" or so single fin, beaked nose and just the step up you need when it gets over head high.

No dims or info on this one either but another fantastic looking board. I'm hoping there's a tri or quad set up underneath this and it's 6'.

Stub- The traditional single fin hull adherents will hate me for this, but I prefer the modernized version. This one is EPS and with a quad or 2+1 setup, I believe it would be what they term a 'goer'.

Twin Keel Sidecut- A design Mick has worked with and honed for over a decade. Twin or quad, it's a fish taken a step or two beyond what you can usually get from a fish. As much as I enjoy a classic twinnie, these boards have basically replaced traditional fish for me.

Each to their own and freedom for all, but no machine or popout is going to be able to bring you the creative flow that someone like Mackie has going on. It's the likes of him and all the other hand crafting innovators that keep the surfboard fresh, and I for one am incredibly thankful for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'll take the red one. Can you throw in some lessons?