Tuesday, May 18, 2010

There Is No Surf In England...



...but there's a really good surf newspaper. Put together by Dan Crockett, 'Kook' is 20 pages of tabloid sized newsprint genius and I wish I'd thought of it. It's surfing, but it's also sheep, plywood sliders, channel bottoms, tea, bird pictures, a recipe, the funnies and some superb lo-fi photo reproduction. Dan, who is what I believe his countrymen refer to as a 'diamond geezer', stopped by the compound, ate some bison and left a stack of Kooks which you can purchase for six american dollars (postage included) and help fund his explorations. You get a highly entertaining read at 30c a page and a very cool artifact of the independent brilliance that surfing can still spawn. He gets a gallon or so of gas or a taco plate while traveling and accumulating material for the next edition. Speaking of things to buy, Crockett nearly walked with this.

It's a 2+1 diamond tail Mackie, 5'10" x 21" x 2.5" (or thereabouts). I've been making no effort at all to sell it because I want to keep it, and I sort of avoided the question when Dan asked about it which is not at all what I'm meant to do with the boards Mick entrusts to me. It has a handfoiled high aspect center fin and sidebites, and it's yours for $725 which is a steal. I'll even throw in a free Kook. Unless of course I cave and surf it in this upcoming south...

7 comments:

HeadHighGlassy said...

Surf it!

Kirk said...

Awww man, that's not helping any- you're a shaper and meant to be responsible. How many of yours do you surf? No wait, don't answer that....

HeadHighGlassy said...

None! And I swear I'm not just saying that because my lovely wife reads your blog, too. Honest...

Kirk said...

Lovely wife, I believe he's lying through his teeth. Board was saved by absolutely atrocious conditions, a river heading north on the inside and wind thrashed brutality on the outside

NiegĂ  said...

That outline looks superb!!

NiegĂ 

coop said...

board looks AMAZING! -how do i buy kook?

Kirk said...

Coop,
send me an email, info@foamandfunction.com and we'll set you up