Sunday, November 11, 2007

Simfish



5'10" Swift/Eaton 'Simfish'

This is the end result of one particular train of design thought that runs through some of the most functional if non 'mainstream' surfboards of the last 50 years. Richard Kenvin had made some 6' and smaller versions of the classic 9' Simmons board (go to Hydrodynamica.com if haven't done so already- that's the big Simmons on the homepage and the little Casper appears toward the end of the clip) which despite being really odd looking, surf incredibly well. A stumpy wide s-deck, twin keels way back on a 19" wide tail and you have a high speed small wave killer for the under head high stuff. The thing paddles like a longboard as it's carved from EPS by the mighty Joe Bauguess, yet when you pop up it's like riding a skateboard and it's blazingly fast. The sort of thing that can make your surfing experience entirely new and fun again. Being the mad genius types they are, RK & Joe took it another step and here's this thing. Hull and Fish melded? Sort of, but sort of it's own thing. EPS, hand foiled keels and I'm thinking about 5'6" personally, but as they're all custom I guess you can do whatever you want with it.

6 comments:

borntoloser said...

I dig the boards you're posting. I actually put this same board as my most recent post on my blog. Then, lo and behold, I do a search to see how I might get more info and stumble upon this post. The board pictured has an Eaton lam, but I was under the impression that Joe shaped these. Who's the true shaper to reference. And, oh, where can I put my hands on one to feel the bottom contours and rails? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Let's see the bottom!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting board! Have you got any more info on it? Also I'm dead keen to see more on the Casper boards. Have you got any pics?
Thanks bro
Maz

pranaglider said...

This looks alot like the fish made in the 70's. blanks were not so preshaped and you could make what you wanted. A lot of fish got shaped out of old broken long boards. I surfed a few and they went well. nice blog

Can Kicker said...

Joe Bauguess shapes all these craft. DO NOT be fooled by some crappy knock offs that are starting to show up around SD county. This is RK's and Joe's project and it's bush league that a shaper who does not even warrant a mention is trying to take credit for this design. My 6'2" is at the glass shop! Huzzah!

Kirk said...

Thanks for the kind word folks. No other pics at the moment but as soon as I can I'll post some- I'm admittedly slow with the photography. Prana- people indeed keeping asking if these are made from a broken longboard. Tim- yeah, Baugness is the man and desrves major credit. he's a really nice guy too. Some jackass who shall remain nameless actually showed up with a knocked off Casper at the Sacred Craft show. Some of these folks show no mercy or class. Stoked you've got one coming- let us know how it works for you.